I've been catching up tonight on the Family blogs -- MajesticSix, 2Partners, Grace and Truth to You and VTMBottomLine -- and felt it was time for me to post again. I just type so slowly...
It's exciting to hear about Paul getting a meeting as a result of his blog, Wade and Rachelle's taking a much needed vacation in Alabama (with security posted at the doors at home in Enid), and Brandon's first double as a pro (and cleverly getting the ball, no less)!
I had a great Father's Day, and appreciate Melody's and Mary's kind comments. I'm blessed with great kids, a fantastic wife, and wonderful extended family!
Nataly and Cody have already had friends sleep over and vice versa multiple times this summer. Cody went to Youth Camp at Falls Creek the first week of June, with Melody along as a sponsor, while Nataly and I stayed home, went to a water park, bowled, and watched some movies. Nat and Mel go to camp in late July, and Cody and I will hang together. Cody and Nat both seem to enjoy the weekly Youth stuff at church; they have two or three things per week.
Beth's Cosmetology School and work seem to be going okay. She's bored with all the pedicures and "plain" cuts, but is learning, and knows she has to persevere to get her license, and to get to do more of the kind of styling she enjoys. She's currently blonde with some bright blue, green and yellow flowing from a starburst. She also has a recent roommate from Illinois she met in 2004 at Youth Camp. We'll likely move her and Katie into a 2-BR apartment in July.
In addition to the day at Frontier City, I'd like to get away for a short vacation in the Texas Hill Country. We'll see if we can work it out. It's never stopped amazing me how much faster summers go since college graduation.
I've started my Tuesday evening golf game with three other managers from work, affectionately called the "Tee & Glee Society" on our work calendars. The four of us started last summer, and felt it was worth repeating. It's some "guy time" that I need, and haven't taken much time for over the years. I really enjoy it.
We've got our big July 4th event at Liberty, and that's always fun, plus a lot of work. It's billed as one of the top 3 fireworks shows in Tulsa, so we have thousands of people on our property and at Union IHS to watch. It's a big outreach for us, as we offer food and pop to all who come.
Probably the thing I'm most eager for this summer is the Rob Bell "tour" at the Diamond Ballroom in OKC in July. He's a great communicator, and very intriguing. I'm slowly reading "Velvet Elvis" (and hope to finish before 7/14), and enjoy his unique, contemplative style. One of his biggest fans, we found out, is my Best Man's wife. She and her 17-yr-old daughter stayed with us one night on their way to Chicago from Austin, and after catching up, we found out she worked at Wheaton College, and Rob Bell is an alum. Also, he is a Jewish culture and history expert, and she did some mission work in Israel. When I mentioned him, you'd have thought she was a teenager, and he's her favorite rock star! Anyway, I'm looking forward to the "Everything is Spiritual" event.
We're definitely in the groove of Summer, which is a laid-back groove for us. We'd like to spend more time outside, so Mel and I are talking about doing a backyard landscape design, with some water features, and hope to take it on as a family project within a year. The dreaming and planning are good for us...
Well, that's about all I can hunt-and-peck for now. Take care and keep blogging!
Tony
2 comments:
Tony I'm impressed. Very informative and, as a hunt and peck guy myself, I'm impressed with the length.
Fun to read your's and Melody's normal lives. It's not normal to us because your daily routine is so fresh to our eyes and ears.
Thanks for letting us in on things and just for being there.
Paul
Tony - I am so jealous of your "Tee and Glee" Club! It gives me ideas for a couple of guys here at my office, I may have to follow suit. Also, maybe Wade, you and I (and Dad or Mike?) could start a once a month game in Enid or Tulsa. That would be fun.
I just posted on 2partners that we think we are going to be getting the little ones for the fifteen weekend (switching weekends) so that we can all go to Frontier City. Hope that works, I think it will be a blast. SB is a daredevil like me, (JB not so much - much like Kelly), so I will have a good riding partner for all of the scary rides.
I tried to get tickets from Homelands around here for the Rob Bell thing, but noone knew about it. I have a friend here at the office that got tickets online adn he may not use two of them, so I may get those. Still up in the air as to whether we (Kelly and me) are going to be able to go, though.
Lots of fun stuff and thanks for telling us about Beth, Cody and Nat!
Love you guys -
BRB
Post a Comment